Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Week 10 - Design Development

So this week I have been considering making the building based around a central core (elevator/services) with usable space around it (maybe have a semi-circular shape backing onto the cliff?). After talking it through with my tutor, Yvonne, I think I'm going to change it so that bits of the root canopy comes through the actual building and these can be service-storing pillars (like power points and stuff) for the virtual library while others can be structural. I've been thinking about what kind of shape the building could take (see diagram at top of picture for potential plan views) but I guess I'll come to a final shape once I've got the floor plan sorted.
I'm not sure if I really like the circular buildings I've got on the left of the picture, they kinda look like mushrooms being held down with roots (not exactly what I was going for...) So on the right I explored a bit of a fountain style roof which could be manipulated into whatever shape for the building footprint but still has the central core. I guess I'll need to make a model to better demonstrate the idea. Also in regards to flooring, I'm not really sure how I'm going to tackle it, but I'm thinking of having the floor kind of appearing to float amongst the roots of the roof, so maybe some of the internal pillars will have a void around them looking bellow to the lower level (I think this would create a really interesting effect and make the building feel more open). Also in the top closed section of the building, Yvonne suggested perhaps incorporating a cinema or something like that. I think this could work well, I'll have to have a think about it some more, but it could mean providing more to the community (this is going to be a virtual library/community center - a small cinema or stage/performance area could bring this idea to life a bit more).
So for the planning I'll be having the cafe/stop over at ground level (with a lot of open space) and the foot print of the building extending via the roots over the foot paths and surrounding space. On the first floor I will create a function room (community classes, etc.) and the virtual library space (open or private spaces, some computer access, powerpoints/wifi availability, help desk/reception type area - will also be in charge for organising functions/activities and for cinema/studio access). Second floor will be cinema area with maybe some studio space (still undecided about this bit - will talk more with Yvonne). And top/roof level will have an access point to the road level above the site - site investigation diagrams from start of project suggest this would be a good idea for accessablility to the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment